Looking Back on Structural Change in Australia: 2002-2012
Supplement to the Annual Report 2011-12
This supplement was released on 11 October 2013. It is a supplement to the Annual Report 2011-12, in which the theme chapter focuses on structural adjustment in a 'multi-speed' economy.
Download the supplement
- Looking Back on Structural Change in Australia: 2002–2012 - Supplement to the Annual Report 2011-12 (PDF - 1711 Kb)
- Looking Back on Structural Change in Australia: 2002–2012 - Supplement to the Annual Report 2011-12 (Word/ZIP - 1749 Kb)
Erratum - Supplement to Annual Report 2011-12
The following erratum - published on 20 February 2014 - has been issued for the Looking Back on Structural Change in Australia: 2002-2012 Supplement to the Annual Report 2011-12. The website version of this publication has been amended to reflect this erratum.
Download the erratum
- Erratum - Looking Back on Structural Change in Australia: 2002-2012 (PDF - 1808 Kb)
- Erratum - Looking Back on Structural Change in Australia: 2002-2012 (Word - 480 Kb)
- Cover, Copyright and publication detail, About this supplement, Contents, Acknowledgments and Abbreviations and explanations
- 1 Setting the scene
- 1.1 What is meant by structural change and structural adjustment?
- 1.2 Sources of structural change
- 1.3 Why is structural change of policy interest?
- 1.4 Aims and structure of this supplement
- 2 Drivers of recent structural change
- 2.1 Global forces have brought opportunities and challenges
- 2.2 A changing domestic environment
- 3 Structural change in output and investment
- 3.1 Structural change in output
- 3.2 Structural change in investment
- 3.3 Structural change across states and territories
- 4 Structural change in employment
- 4.1 Structural change at the sectoral level
- 4.2 Structural change in employment at the industry level
- 4.3 Patterns of regional structural change in employment
- 5 Some underlying trends in labour adjustment
- 5.1 Indicators of labour mobility
- 5.2 The changing nature of work
- 5.3 Signals for labour market adjustment
- 6 Resources: a case study in structural adjustment
- 6.1 Recent drivers of change facing the resources sector
- 6.2 What were the effects on output?
- 6.3 Some implications for capital use
- 6.4 What were the implications for labour?
- Appendix A Industry classifications
- Appendix B Structural change indexes
- Appendix C Supporting data and analysis