Karen Chester - Deputy Chair
Karen Chester was appointed a Commissioner with the Productivity Commission in December 2013 and Deputy Chair in May 2016.
Prior to her Government appointments, Karen was a Partner at Mercer and Global Head of Infrastructure. Before joining Mercer, Karen was a Partner at Access Capital Advisers, having been the CEO of its corporate predecessor ─ Access Economics.
Karen has also held directorships on several Australian infrastructure company boards and before moving to the private sector held senior economic policy roles in the Australian Treasury and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.
In 2015, the Government appointed Karen to Chair an expert panel to undertake a capability review of Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC).
Karen has a first class honours degree in economics from the University of Queensland.
Karen was previously a Commissioner on:
- Australia's Intellectual Property Arrangements
- Housing Decisions of Older Australians
- Superannuation Policy in the Post-Retirement Phase
- Trade and Assistance Review 2013-14
- Indigenous Primary School Educational Outcomes
- Natural Disaster Funding
- Tasmanian Shipping and Freight
- Superannuation Competitiveness and Efficiency
- Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage
Karen is currently working on: