Auto Industry (2002)
This public inquiry has concluded. The final inquiry report was released by the Australian Government on 13 December 2002.
The terms of reference for the inquiry focused on Commonwealth assistance measures. Among other matters, the Commission was asked to:
- evaluate the outcomes of the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme and the reform of automotive tariffs
- assess the interdependence between vehicle assemblers and component producers
- identify strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for the sector including major impediments to its long term viability
- examine the impacts of changes in road safety and environmental requirements
- report on progress in trade liberalisation of the automotive sector in existing and prospective export markets.
- A Decade of Certainty for the Automotive Industry - Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources media release (external site)
- Response to Productivity Commission Report on Automotive Assistance Treasurer's government response (external site)
- About the public inquiry process