Auto Industry (2002)
This public inquiry has concluded. The final inquiry report was released by the Australian Government on 13 December 2002.
The terms of reference for the inquiry focused on Commonwealth assistance measures. Among other matters, the Commission was asked to:
- evaluate the outcomes of the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme and the reform of automotive tariffs
- assess the interdependence between vehicle assemblers and component producers
- identify strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for the sector including major impediments to its long term viability
- examine the impacts of changes in road safety and environmental requirements
- report on progress in trade liberalisation of the automotive sector in existing and prospective export markets.
The Commission was required to identify a range of policy options - consistent with Australia's international obligations under the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum - to facilitate the achievement of an internationally competitive and globally integrated Australian automotive manufacturing sector.