Annual Review of Regulatory Burdens on Business
This study stream is now completed.
In February 2007 the Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake, over five years, a series of annual reviews of the burdens on business from the stock of Commonwealth regulation.
The ongoing five year cycle involved reviewing, in sequence, regulation which mainly impacts on the following areas:
- 2007 Primary sector (completed)
- 2008 Manufacturing sector and distributive trades (completed)
- 2009 Social and economic infrastructure services (completed)
- 2010 Business and consumer services (completed)
- 2011 Identifying and Evaluating Regulation Reforms (completed)
The review process was designed to ensure that all Australian Government regulations are efficient and effective, by recommending improvements that lead to net benefits to business and the community, without compromising underlying policy goals.