Education Evidence Base
A public inquiry into the further development of the national evidence base for school and early childhood education, which is to be completed in 9 months.
- Issues paper 11 Apr 2016
- Draft report 6 Sep 2016
- Inquiry report Dec 2016
The issues paper covers a range of issues on which the Commission seeks information and feedback, and is intended to assist you in preparing a submission.
Initial submissions were due by 25 May 2016.
The draft report was released on 6 September for comment and feedback..
Submissions were due by 7 October 2016.
The inquiry report is expected to be handed to the Australian Government in December 2016.
The release of the final report by the Government is the final step in the process.
Under the Productivity Commission Act 1998, the Government is required to table the report in each House of the Parliament within 25 sitting days of receipt.
The Commission has been asked to provide advice on the national approach to collecting and using data for early childhood education and care and schools to improve Australia's educational outcomes.
In undertaking this inquiry, the Commission has been asked to use evidence from Australia and overseas to report on and make recommendations about:
- The information required to provide a comprehensive evidence base to inform policy development in early childhood and school education now and in the future.
- Current data holdings and potential additional information, including how that information might add value to the existing evidence base.
- Existing or potential barriers to sharing or accessing data, and how these can be overcome.
- The role that technology and mobile devices can play in the scope, quality and timeliness of data collection and reporting.
- The costs and benefits of options for improvements to the national education evidence base.
More detailed information can be found in the terms of reference.
Yvette Goss (Administrative matters)
Ph: 03 9653 2253
David Garner (Other matters)
Ph: 03 9653 2227
Free call: 1800 020 083