Skip to Content

Indigenous Expenditure Report 2012

This report was released on 4 September 2012.

  • Key points
  • Contents
  • Factsheets
  • Attachment tables
  • Manuals
  • The 2012 Report is the second in a series that provides estimates of expenditure on services to Indigenous Australians. It contributes to the information available to policy makers to address the gap between outcomes for Indigenous and other Australians.
    • It provides information on the level and patterns of expenditure on targeted and mainstream services for Indigenous Australians across 86 expenditure categories, mapped to the COAG National Indigenous Reform Agreement building blocks.
    • When combined with other information, the estimates in the Report can contribute to a better understanding of the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of government expenditure on services to Indigenous Australians.
  • Some national level data are summarised below. There were significant variations in levels and patterns of expenditure across expenditure categories and acrossstates and territories more information is available in the Report and from the project website (www.pc.gov.au/gsp/ier).
  • Total direct Indigenous expenditure in 2010-11 was estimated to be $25.4 billion, accounting for 5.6 per cent of total direct general government expenditure. Indigenous Australians make up 2.6 per cent of the population.
    • The Australian Governmen taccounted for $11.5 billion (45 per cent) of Indigenous directexpenditure, with the remaining $13.9 billion (55 per cent) provided by State and Territory governments.
    • Mainstream services accounted for $19.9 billion (78 per cent) of Indigenous direct expenditure, with the remaining $5.5 billion (22 per cent) provided through targeted (Indigenous specific) services.
  • Estimated expenditure per head of population was $44 128 for Indigenous Australians, compared with $19 589 for other Australians (a ratio of 2.25:1). The $24 538 per person difference reflected the combined effects of:
    • greater intensity of service use ($16 110 or 66 per cent) Indigenous Australians use more services per capita because of greater need,and because of population characteristics such as the younger age profile ofthe Indigenous population
    • additional costs of providing services ($8429 or 34 per cent) it can cost more to provide services to Indigenous Australians if mainstream services are more expensive to provide (for example, because of location), or if Indigenous Australians receive targeted services (for example liaison officers in hospitals) in addition to mainstream services.
  • The Report includes a number of focus areas of expenditure. In selected areas, theratio of Indigenous to non-Indigenous expenditure per head of population was:
    • school education - 2.99:1 ($5359 per Indigenous Australian compared with $1792 per non-Indigenous Australian), mainly reflecting higher per capita use of school services, driven by the younger age profile of the Indigenous population.
    • public and community health services - 4.89:1 ($3152 per IndigenousAustralian compared with $644 per non-Indigenous Australian), mainly reflecting higher per capita use of health services, driven by the poorer health status of Indigenous Australians
    • housing - 4.85:1 ($1708 per Indigenous Australian compared with $352 per non-Indigenous Australian), mainly reflecting higher per capita use of social housing by Indigenous Australians, driven by socio-economic disadvantage.
  • Preliminaries
  • Overview

Part A About the Report and Estimates

  • Chapter 1 What is the Indigenous Expenditure Report?
  • Chapter 2 What estimates are available and how should they be used?
  • Chapter 3 Service delivery context

Part B Overview of Expenditure by Building Block

  • Chapter 4 Early child development, and education and training
  • Chapter 5 Healthy lives
  • Chapter 6 Economic participation
  • Chapter 7 Home environment
  • Chapter 8 Safe and supportive communities
  • Chapter 9 Other government services

Part C Appendixes

  • Appendix A Overview of method
  • Appendix B Estimate reliability
  • Appendix C General statistics
  • Appendix D Internet-based information

Total government direct expenditure (by single state and nationally)

These attachments provide estimates of Australian Government plus State and Territory government direct expenditure in each state and territory. Attachments W-A to W-H each provides estimates for a single state. Attachment W-I provides national estimates.

Total government direct expenditure (state comparisons)

These attachments provide estimates of Australian Government plus State and Territory government direct expenditure, with expenditure in each state and territory presented side by side. Attachments W-J and W-K disaggregate expenditure on mainstream services and expenditure on Indigenous-specific services. Attachments W-L and W-M disaggregate expenditure by expenditure driven by intensity of service use, and expenditure driven by the additional cost of providing services to Indigenous Australians.

State and Territory government total expenditure (direct plus indirect)

These attachments provide estimates of direct plus indirect expenditure by each State and Territory governments. Each attachment provides estimates for a single jurisdiction.

Australian Government total expenditure (direct plus indirect)

These attachments provide estimates of direct plus indirect expenditure by the Australian Government, with expenditure in each state and territory presented side by side.

Printed copies

Printed copies of the full report and overview can be purchased from Canprint Communications.

Publications feedback

We value your comments about this publication and encourage you to complete and submit the publications feedback form.