Australia's Automotive Manufacturing Industry
This inquiry has concluded. The final report was sent to Government on 31 March 2014 and released on 26 August 2014.
The Australian Government asked the Commission to undertake an inquiry into public support for Australia's automotive manufacturing industry, including passenger motor vehicle and automotive component production.
The Commission was asked to:
- examine national and international market and regulatory factors affecting the industry
- identify and evaluate possible alternative public support mechanisms
- identify any significant transition issues or adjustment costs that may arise from alternative support mechanisms or policy changes and how they might be best managed
- assess the significance of the capabilities within the industry, its direct employment and economic benefits, and its secondary impacts on other sectors of the economy
- quantify the costs and benefits of existing and alternative assistance mechanisms.
The Commission undertook public consultation, inviting public submissions and releasing a preliminary findings report to the public.
This report was released on 26 August 2014 and presents the Commission's views on the costs and benefits of industry-specific assistance to the automotive manufacturing industry, in light of the structural change that will occur over the next few years as Ford, Holden and Toyota close their motor vehicle manufacturing plants.
Economywide Modelling of Automotive Industry Change
This paper was released on 26 August 2014 as a supplement to the inquiry report into Australia's Automotive Manufacturing Industry. The supplement provides a quantitative analysis of the economywide and regional impacts of the impending passenger motor vehicle manufacturing plant closures in Australia. The analysis sheds light on the broad order of magnitude of the adjustment task.
Submissions received for the Australia's Automotive Manufacturing Industry public inquiry.
Details of public hearings for the inquiry into Australia's Automotive Manufacturing Industry.