Australia's Automotive Manufacturing Industry
This inquiry has concluded. The final report was sent to Government on 31 March 2014 and released on 26 August 2014.
The Australian Government asked the Commission to undertake an inquiry into public support for Australia's automotive manufacturing industry, including passenger motor vehicle and automotive component production.
The Commission was asked to:
- examine national and international market and regulatory factors affecting the industry
- identify and evaluate possible alternative public support mechanisms
- identify any significant transition issues or adjustment costs that may arise from alternative support mechanisms or policy changes and how they might be best managed
- assess the significance of the capabilities within the industry, its direct employment and economic benefits, and its secondary impacts on other sectors of the economy
- quantify the costs and benefits of existing and alternative assistance mechanisms.
The Commission undertook public consultation, inviting public submissions and releasing a preliminary findings report to the public.