Implementation of Ecologically Sustainable Development by Commonwealth Departments and Agencies
This public inquiry has concluded. The inquiry report was released by the Commonwealth Government on 15 February 2000.
The Commission was asked to assess the implementation of Ecologically Sustainable Development (ESD) by Commonwealth departments and agencies with major responsibility for ESD, or whose activities have significant consequences for its achievement, and make recommendations designed to further implement the objectives and principles of the National Strategy for Ecologically Sustainable Development.
In particular the Commission was requested to:
- evaluate how those Commonwealth Government departments and agencies with significant policy or program management responsibilities related to ESD, or which undertake activities which directly impact on the achievement of ESD, have incorporated ESD into their policy formulation, decision-making processes and programs
- review existing mechanisms to monitor and evaluate ESD outcomes, and report on the effectiveness of Commonwealth policies and programs in changing community or corporate behaviours in ways which promote ESD outcomes
- analyse the policy and economic implications of these Commonwealth departments and agencies incorporating environmental considerations into their economic and social decision-making processes, and provide case studies in priority areas
- develop conceptual frameworks and evaluation mechanisms for incorporating ESD into government decision-making processes
- develop priorities among Commonwealth Government departments and agencies and their programs and activities for the further implementation of ESD
- recommend improved frameworks and processes for reporting, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of ESD.
You may also be interested in
Government response (RTF - 36 Kb)
Media release: Government Welcomes Native Vegetation and Biodiversity Regulations Report
Media release: Productivity Commission Inquiry
The draft report for this project is not available online.Please note: The draft report is for research purposes only. For final outcomes of this inquiry refer to the inquiry report.
A report of the public inquiry into the implementation of ecologically sustainable development by Commonwealth departments and agencies.
List of submissions received for Implementation of Ecologically Sustainable Development by Commonwealth Departments and Agencies public inquiry.