Gas Access Regime
This public inquiry has concluded. The inquiry report was released by the Australian Government on 10 August 2004.
The National Third Party Access Regime for Natural Gas Pipelines (Gas Access Regime) was established in November 1997 by agreement of the Commonwealth, State and Territory Governments. The Gas Pipelines Access Law, including the National Third Party Access Code for Natural Gas Pipeline Systems (the Gas Code) implements the access objectives agreed by all jurisdictions.
The Commonwealth Government has released its interim response to the Review of Part IIIA of the Trade Practices Act 1974 (the National Access Regime) under which the Gas Code is certified. In addition, the imminent completion of regulators' final decisions in the first round of access arrangements means that there is now an emerging case history that allows an assessment of the effectiveness of the Gas Access Regime.
The Commission was to report on:
- the benefits, costs and effects of the Gas Access Regime, including its effect on investment in the sector and in upstream and downstream markets
- improvements to the Gas Access Regime, its objectives and its application
- how the Gas Access Regime might better facilitate a competitive market for energy services
- appropriate consistency between the Gas Code, the National Access Regime and other access regimes
- institutional and decision making arrangements under the Gas Access Regime
- the appropriateness of including in the Gas Code minimum (price and non-price) requirements for access to users.
You may also be interested in
Media release: Productivity Commission to Review The National Gas Pipelines Access Regime
Media release: Productivity Commission Report on the Review of the Gas Access Regime
Ministerial Council on Energy's Response to the Productivity Commission Review of the Gas Access Regime (PDF - 539 Kb)
Media release: The Ministerial Council on Energy's (MCE) response to the Productivity Commission's Review of the Gas Access Regime
The draft report for this project is not available online.Please note: The draft report is for research purposes only. For final outcomes of this inquiry refer to the inquiry report.
The final report of the public inquiry into the gas access regime.
Submissions for the public inquiry, Review of the Gas Access Regime.
Public hearing transcripts for the public inquiry, Review of the Gas Access Regime.
Related Documents for the public inquiry, Review of the Gas Access Regime.