Standards and Accreditation
This study has concluded. The research report was released on 16 November 2006.
The Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a research study into the Australian Government's relationship with Standards Australia Limited and the National Association of Testing Authorities.
Important issues include:
- the appropriate role for the Australian Government in standard setting and laboratory accreditation
- and funding of these activities when they are in the public interest.
This study looked at:
- the history of the relationship between the Australian Government and these organisations
- the cost impact on and benefits to business and the wider community of standards, including those referenced in regulation
- models in operation overseas.