This inquiry has concluded. The Commission's final report was provided to the Australian Government on 19 December 2009. The Government publicly released the report on 4 January 2010.
The Productivity Commission was asked to undertake a public inquiry into the regulatory framework around remuneration of directors and executives of companies regulated under the Corporations Act.
Specifically, the Commission was requested to consider:
- trends in director and executive remuneration in Australia and internationally
- the effectiveness of the existing framework for the oversight, accountability and transparency of director and executive remuneration practices
- the role of institutional and retail shareholders in the development, setting, reporting and consideration of remuneration practices
- any mechanisms that would better align the interests of boards and executives with those of shareholders and the wider community
- the effectiveness of the international responses to remuneration issues arising from the global financial crisis.
In undertaking the inquiry, the Commission liaised with the Australia's Future Tax System Review and the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.
The Commission has made recommendations on how the existing framework governing remuneration practices in Australia could be improved.
You may also be interested in
Correspondence and attached submission from Senator Doug Cameron
Discussion draft - Press conference opening remarks
Chairman's speech: Executive pay - Economic issues from the Commission's report
Chairman's speech: The Productivity Commission's Executive Pay Inquiry - An update on the issues
Media release: Productivity Commission and Allan Fels to examine executive remuneration
Media release: Action on golden handshakes
Please note: The discussion draft and issues paper are for research purposes only. For final outcomes of this inquiry refer to the inquiry report.
The report of the public inquiry into Executive Remuneration released on 4 January 2010.
Submissions received for the Executive Remuneration public inquiry
Press conference opening remarks - Discussion draft
Opening remarks on the Executive Remuneration in Australia discussion draft by Commission Chairman Gary Banks at a press conference held at Parliament House, Canberra on 30 September 2009.
Public hearings details and transcripts for the inquiry into Executive Remuneration.