Conservation of Historic Heritage Places
This inquiry has concluded. The final inquiry report was released by the Australian Government on 21 July 2006.
The Australian Government asked the Commission to report within 12 months on the policy framework and incentives for the conservation of Australia's historic built heritage places.
The Commission has been specifically asked to examine:
- the main pressures on the conservation of historic heritage places
- the economic, social and environmental benefits and costs of the conservation of historic heritage places in Australia
- the current relative roles and contributions to the conservation of historic heritage places of governments, heritage owners (private, corporate and government), community groups and any other relevant stakeholders
- the positive and/or negative impacts of regulatory, taxation and institutional arrangements on the conservation of historic heritage places and other impediments and incentives that affect outcomes
- emerging technological, economic, demographic, environmental and social trends that offer potential new approaches to the conservation of historic heritage places
- possible policy and program approaches for managing the conservation of historic heritage places and competing objectives and interests.
Historic built heritage places include such things as buildings, bridges, monuments and physically-created sites. Australia's moveable cultural heritage, such as works of art, Indigenous heritage and natural heritage are not included.
You may also be interested in
Media release: Productivity Commission to examine built heritage conservation
Please note: The draft report is for research purposes only. For final outcomes of this inquiry refer to the inquiry report.
The final report of the public inquiry Conservation of Australia’s Historic Heritage Places.
Submissions for the public inquiry, Conservation of Australia’s Historic Built Heritage Places.
Public hearing transcripts for the public inquiry for the public inquiry into the Policy Framework and Incentives for the Conservation of Australia’s Historic Built Heritage Places.