Disability Care and Support
This project is completed. The final inquiry report was delivered to Government on 31 July 2011 and released on 10 August 2011.
The Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a public inquiry into a long-term disability care and support scheme.
Amongst other things, the inquiry examined:
- how a scheme should be designed and funded to better meet the long-term needs of people with disability, their families and carers
- how to determine the people most in need of support, the services that should be available to them, and service delivery arrangements
- the costs, benefits, feasibility and funding options of alternative schemes
- how the scheme will interact with the health, aged care, informal care, income support and injury insurance systems
- its impacts on the workforce
- how any scheme should be introduced and governed
- what protections and safeguards should be part of the scheme.