Reforms to Human Services
Second stage of the Human Services inquiry
The Commission has made recommendations on how to apply increased competition, contestability and informed user choice to the human services that were identified in the first stage study report to improve outcomes for users, and the community as a whole.
The Human Services inquiry is now complete.
- Issues paper 12 Dec 2016
- Draft report 2 June 2017
- Final report 26 Mar 2018
The issues paper covered a range of issues on which the Commission seeks information and feedback, and was intended to assist you in preparing a submission.
Submissions were due by 10 February 2017.
The Commission sought feedback on the draft report. Submissions were due by 14 July 2017.
The final inquiry report was sent to Government on 27 October 2017 and publicly released on 26 March 2018.
The Commission had particular regard to:
- the roles and responsibilities of consumers, service providers (including the private sector, government agencies and the not for profit sector) and governments in the delivery of human services
- the factors affecting consumers’ use of services and their preferences for models of service delivery, noting the challenges facing consumers with complex and chronic needs, or reduced capacity to make informed choices
- the benefits and costs of promoting competition in the provision of human services
- how best to promote innovation and improvements in the quality, range and funding of human services
- the challenges facing the provision of human services in rural and remote areas
- the need to improve Indigenous outcomes.
You may also be interested in
Media release: Productivity Commission inquiry into introducing competition and informed user choice into human services
The inquiry report has made recommendations on how to apply increased competition, contestability and informed user choice.
Submissions received for the Human Services: Reforms to Human Services inquiry.
Details of public hearings for Human Services: Reforms to Human Services inquiry.