Childcare and Early Childhood Learning
This inquiry has concluded. The final report was sent to Government on 31 October 2014.
- Issues paper 5 Dec 2013
- Draft report 22 July 2014
- Inquiry report Sent 31 Oct 2014
The issues paper was released on 5 December 2013 and was intended to assist you in preparing a submission. It covered a range of issues on which the Commission sought information and feedback.
The draft report is no longer open for comment and the inquiry has concluded.
The release of the final report by the Government is the next step in the process. Under the Productivity Commission Act 1998, the Government is required to table the report in each House of the Parliament within 25 sitting days of receipt.
When the Government releases the report it will be available for download from this web page.
The Australian Government has asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a public inquiry into future options for childcare and early childhood learning, with a focus on developing a system that supports workforce participation and addresses children's learning and development needs.
The Commission has been asked to specifically report and make recommendations on:
- the contribution of childcare to workforce participation and child development
- current and future need for childcare in Australia, particularly given changes in work patterns, early learning needs, childcare affordability and government assistance
- the capacity of the childcare system to ensure a satisfactory transition to schools, in particular for vulnerable or at risk children
- alternative models of care, including those overseas, which could be considered for trial in Australia
- options - within existing funding parameters - for improving the accessibility, flexibility and affordability of childcare for families with diverse circumstances
- the impacts of regulatory changes, including the implementation of the National Quality Framework, on the childcare sector over the past decade.
You may also be interested in
- About the public inquiry process
- Focus on more flexible, affordable and accessible childcare - Joint media release from the Prime Minister, Treasurer and Assistant Minister for Education (external link)