Business set-up, transfer and closure
This inquiry has concluded. The Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a public inquiry into barriers to setting up, transferring and closing a business and identify options for reducing barriers where appropriate.
- Issues paper 19 Dec 2014
- Draft report 21 May 2015
- Final report 7 Dec 2015
The issues paper was intended to assist you in preparing a submission. It covered a range of issues on which the Commission sought information and feedback.
Initial submissions were due 20 February 2015.
The draft report is available but no longer open for comment. Written submissions were due 3 July 2015.
Please note: The draft report is for research purposes only. For final outcomes of this inquiry refer to the inquiry report.
The final report was handed to the Australian Government on 30 September 2015 and publicly released on 7 December 2015. It deals with the key drivers of business set-ups, transfers and closures.
The Commission conducted a broad ranging investigation to specifically investigate, analyse and propose recommendations on:
- The nature and the scale/extent of barriers to entry and exit that existed for businesses and their impact on economic performance.
- Identify appropriate options for reducing these entry and exit barriers, including but not limited to advice on the potential impacts of:
- the regulation of product and service markets
- transfers and subsidies to businesses, including import barriers
- regulations affecting the ease of starting, operationalising or closing a business
- time spent on and cost of complying or dealing with government regulation, licensing and bureaucracy
- the personal/corporate insolvency regimes on business exits.
You may also be interested in
This report was sent to Government on 30 September 2015 and publicly released on 7 December 2015. It deals with the key drivers of business set-ups, transfers and closures.
Submissions received for the Business Set-up, Transfer and Closure public inquiry.
Details of public hearings for the inquiry into Business Set-up, Transfer and Closure.