International Liner Cargo Shipping (1999)
This public inquiry has concluded. The inquiry report was released by the Commonwealth Government on 23 December 1999.
The Productivity Commission was asked to report on the appropriate arrangements for regulation of International Liner Cargo Shipping Services.
The Commission was required to report on a number of issues including:
- rationale for and effectiveness of Part X
- effect of Part X on competition
- relevant alternatives to Part X - including the authorisation processes in Part VII of the Trade Practices Act 1974 and non legislative approaches
- liner cargo shipping regimes of Australia's major trading partners and the compatibility of alternative arrangements with these regimes
- possible mechanisms for increasing the overall efficiency of Part X.