Review of Radiocommunications Acts
This public inquiry has concluded. The inquiry report was released by the Commonwealth Government on 5 December 2002.
Under the Legislation Review, all Commonwealth legislation which restricts competition or imposes costs on business is evaluated against the guiding principle that it should be retained only if the benefits to the community as a whole outweigh the costs and if the objective of the legislation cannot be achieved more efficiently through other means, including non-legislative approaches.
The review was to encompass six pieces of legislation relating to radiocommunications:
- Radiocommunications Act 1992
- Australian Communications Authority Act 1997
- Radiocommunications (Transmitter Licence Tax) Act 1983
- Radiocommunications (Receiver Licence Tax) Act 1983
- Radiocommunications (Spectrum Licence Tax) Act 1997
- Radiocommunications (Permit Tax) Act 1983
- Radiocommunications Taxes Collection Act 1983.