Economic Structure and Performance of the Australian Retail Industry
This inquiry has concluded. The final report was sent to the Government on 4 November 2011. The Government released the final report on 9 December 2011.
On 18 December 2010, the Assistant Treasurer, the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, the Minister for Home Affairs and Justice and the Minister for Small Business announced that the Commission would undertake an inquiry into the economic structure and performance of the Australian retail industry.
The Commission was asked to report on:
- current structure, performance and efficiency of the retail sector
- drivers of structural change in the retail industry
- broader issues contributing to the increase in online purchasing by Australian consumers
- sustainability and appropriateness of current indirect tax arrangements and the extent to which technology could reduce the administrative costs of tax collection
- other regulatory or policy issues which impact on the structural change in the sector.
You may also be interested in
The model used in the analysis reported in Appendix H is available from the Commission upon request. This model is implemented in GAMS. It requires a working knowledge of, and access to the GAMS software. The Commission does not provide support and accepts no liability for any errors in the programs or data.