Science and Innovation
This commissioned study has concluded. The research report was released on 27 March 2007.
The Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a research study on public support for science and innovation in Australia. Important issues include:
- the economic impact of public support for science and innovation in Australia
- the adequacy of arrangements to benchmark outcomes
- identification of impediments to the effective functioning of Australia’s innovation system
- examination of the decision making principles and program design elements that influence the effectiveness and efficiency of Australia's innovation system and guide the allocation of funding together with the scope for improvements and the implications from changing the level and balance of current support
- the broader social and environmental impacts of public support for science and innovation.