Report on Government Services
Published January 2016
The annual Report on Government Services (RoGS) provides information on the equity, effectiveness and efficiency of government services in Australia. This report was progressively released between 27 January - 4 February 2016.
How to find what you need in RoGS
Download the infographic
How to find what you need in RoGS (Text version of infographic)
This guide is to assist you navigating the Report on Government Services web pages to find the information you need.
The RoGS is made up of 7 volumes containing 18 chapters. The titles of the chapters indicate the service areas covered.
Step 1. Visit pc.gov.au/rogs or search RoGS
Step 2. Access a sector volume. Click on the Volume title in the 'At a Glance' tab.
Step 3. Access a service chapter. Click on the chapter button under the Volume heading.
Step 4. Download information within chapters. Each chapter page contains the following information:
- Downloadable PDF containing the chapter, attachment tables and data quality information.
- Excel tables containing all performance and contextual data referred to in the chapters.
Step 5. Read more within the chapter tabs. Each chapter page contains further information as HTML within tabs:
- Key facts - contains some basic descriptive information and numbers relevant to the service area and its objectives.
- Indicator framework - contains a graphic of the performance indicator framework for the service area including outputs and outcomes.
- Indicator results - contains a summary of the performance information for the service area. It is important when using material from this summary to also look at the caveats in the associated attachment tables (the attachment table is referenced under each piece of performance information).
- Indigenous data - contains a reference list on which attachment tables contain performance data with disaggregation by Indigenous status (or for Indigenous Australians).
Step 6. Navigate within the chapter. There is a generic structure within each chapter which includes the following:
- Profile of the service - provides important contectual information to understand the service area and the performance results.
- Framework of performance indicators - lists the objectives for the service area and a figure of the indicator framework (as per the 'Indicator framework' tab on the chapter web page).
- Key performance indicator results - provides information on the performance for each indicator in the framework drawing on data in the attachment tables. It is important in interpreting these results to consider the associated indicator interpretation boxes in the chapter and the associated attachment tables (both are clearly referenced in the chapter).
The full report is available below.
- Terms of reference - Report on Government Services (PDF - 72 Kb)
- Terms of reference - Report on Government Services (Word - 31 Kb)
Have your say
Proposed reporting framework on 'what works' to improve service outcomes - feedback due 14 July.Read the draft reporting framework
Printed copies of the complete set of volumes for this report can be purchased from Canprint Communications.
Please note: If you do not need the whole Report then you can purchase individual volumes from their respective web pages.
We value your comments about this publication and encourage you to complete and submit the publications feedback form.
The Indigenous compendium ceased from the 2015 RoGS. From the 2016 RoGS onwards a reference list is now included on the Indigenous data tab on each sector overview/chapter page where performance data are available.
Join the conversationTweet #PCBluebook