Smash Repair and Insurance
This public inquiry has concluded. The final inquiry report was released by the Australian Government on 18 August 2005.
The Productivity Commission has been asked to undertake a public inquiry into the relationship between the smash repair industry and the insurance industry. It is to report within five months on:
- the appropriateness and transparency of criteria used by insurance companies to confer 'preferred smash repairer' status on smash repairers
- financial relationships between smash repairers and insurance companies
- arrangements for consumers to have reasonable choice in the selection of repairers
- the extent, adequacy and independence of dispute resolution systems between the smash repair industry, insurance companies and consumers.
- Government response to the inquiry report
- Productivity Commission Inquiry into the Commercial Relationship between the Smash Repair Industry and the Insurance Industry - Joint media release of the Treasurer and the Minister for Small Business
- Industry Code of Conduct - A Win for Smash Repairers (PDF - 40 Kb) - Minister for Small Business and Tourism press release
- Progress towards smash repair and motor vehicle Insurance industry code of conduct (PDF - 41 Kb) - Minister for Small Business and Tourism press release
- New voluntary code - win for both smash repairers and insurers (PDF - 62 Kb) - Minister for Small Business and Tourism press release
- About the public inquiry process